Subject: [Leica] more on 50 vs 35...
From: Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:45:31 +0100

I tend to prefer wide angle lenses, and thus generally wander around with a
35 mounted on an M6. Of the 4 focal lengths I have, the 35's the one that
sees the most use. The 50 has been languishing in my bag for a while now. I
mention this because I recently had a bad 35mm day...

A week or so ago I was out shooting in an architecturally interesting spot
and wanted to get some shots of people moving through the monumental
geometry of the space. I alternated between one M6 with a 35, and another
M6 with a 90. Looking over the negs, I am really dissatisfied with the
shots taken with the 35 - there's too much info and the people are too
small to create what I would consider to be effective compositions.

This was basically a miscalculation on my part. I was after the space and
immediately thought "35," though I should have realized that I would have
to move in closer for the people but in doing so would lose the space.
Hanging back, I got the space (and too much of it), but the people are
lost.

My point is that the 35 has become a sort of default lens for me - I carry
it everywhere and generally get good results with it. So much so that I'm
losing touch with other favorite focal lengths, one of them being the 50.
I'm rethinking my 35 strategy and am going start forcing myself to use the
50 instead. I'm hoping that it will allow me to hang back a bit, but still
manage a relatively tight (in comparison with the 35) composition.

Guy

Replies: Reply from "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com> (Re: [Leica] more on 50 vs 35...)
Reply from Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr> (Re: [Leica] more on 50 vs 35...)