Subject: [Leica] Re: [ZICG] Negatives From Chromes
From: "William B. Lurie" <filtrman@gate.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 06:22:23 -0400

Roland Smith wrote:

> I have wanted to begin duplicating some of my travel slides on negatives.
> This evening I used a slide duplicator, Ilford FP4 film and D76.
>
> I set the film speed on ISO 125 took a picture and then proceeded to lower
> the ISO to 64, 32 and 16.
>
> Using regular development, the exposures at the film regular speed of 125
> yielded the best result.
>
> IT WORKED!  The negatives look good.
>
> Now, I have to print these and observe the grain.
>
> Roland Smith

Roland, my personal hands-on experience with
B/W developing and grain goes back over
sixty years, and I stopped doing any quite a
while ago. I'm intrigued by your use of D-76,
which was all Kodak recommended in "the
old days".

There were many developers available then, which
were vastly superior, and many books written on
the subject. I myself used Dr. Sease #3 and Edwal-12,
simple formulas for which are still available. In more
recent years, Kodak has put out something reputed to
be much better, but I am long past doing my own evaluation.

I'm curious as to why D-76 .......

                Bill Lurie

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: [ZICG] Negatives From Chromes)