Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Motor M experience
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:18:53 -0700

Andrew Nemeth wrote:

> quite a lot after each shot (due to the mechanical linkage).
> So you can forget about shooting sequences at speeds slower
> than 1/250th.
>
> Then to add insult to injury, I have just discovered that if
> you set the speed setting to "quiet" and shoot a sequence of
> shots at 1/125th (ie you press the shutter down and keep your
> finger on it), then all the shots after #1 will be ruined due
> to "smearing" of the LHS of the frame.  What appears to happen
> is that the M shutter front curtain starts to travel _before_
> the film has come fully to rest.<<<<<<

Hi Andrew,
I've been wondering when some of the members would begin reporting on the
new M battery powered motor? winder? whatever, so when I read your report it
sounds just like using the old one that didn't work any better than thunk
clunking along. And the mechanical connection banging up and down scared the
hell out of me the first time I used one.

I don't know if you've had a Tom Abrahamsson RapidWinder attached to your M
camera, but I'd take one of his winders over the Leica produced battery
operated product any day for smoothness of operation, quiet and quickness.

And as far as sequence goes? Once you learn how to handle the RapidWinder,
shooting a 3 frame burst in one second becomes a piece of cake.

Thanks for the heads-up on the M battery driven winder, however due to your
report I think it's well worth passing on the it and putting the money
toward a new M6 body or lens. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant