Subject: [Leica] LUG: kc's 50mm problem
From: "Chris Quinn" <cquinn@mail.sjcsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 19:12:44 -0600

I've been thinking about kc's 50mm dilemma, one in which I never hope to
find myself. The 50 just doesn't fit my eye, and I've been trying to figure
out why that is... either I want to capture an entire scene - of which I
want to be a part - or I want to isolate an element of that scene. So it's
the 21 or 28 for being deep into the action, or a 90 for isolating elements.
Which thinking led me to the thought that the 50 puts me at an awkward
social distance: it's too tight to shoot as someone who's part of the
action, and too wide to allow me to shoot inconspicuously from the
sidelines. Anyone care to modify that? I don't want to say that it's 'a
wallflower's focal length,' or 'the third wheel's lens,' but that's how I
feel when I use it....

Ladies & gentlemen, I will now open this can of lighter fluid to facilitate
your

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] LUG: kc's 50mm problem)