Subject: Re: [Leica] Anthony' photos
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:48:38 +0200

Frank Dernie writes:

> IME many Java scripts hang my computer. A restart
> is such a PITA that I never enable Java. Sites that
> absolutely require java will not get me as a
> visitor.

I have Java permanently disabled.  However, Java is distinct from Javascript,
the latter being less harmful (and much more widely used).  Is Java really what
you meant?

> In general I am unimpressed by complexity -
> particularly in web sites.

Content is what makes a Web site interesting, but precious few webmasters
realize this.

Here in France, lots of Web sites are nothing more than a Shockwave
animation--you can't enter the site any other way than through the animation.
Needless to say, I never visit these sites, since I have all ActiveX controls
turned off (they are easily a thousand times more dangerous than Java or
Javascript).

> I wonder how many of the failed e-commerce
> companies failed because their web sites were
> somebodies ego trip rather than an efficient
> functional interface.

E-commerce companies are usually not the major offenders, precisely because they
cannot afford to be.

The worst offenders are sites tied to the entertainment industry, particularly
movie tie-in sites.  They can be almost impossible to navigate, and they take
forever to load.  Web design at its absolute worst.

Sites in France tend to be poorly designed, as I've mentioned, but that is
simply because the French are so utterly clueless with respect to anything
touching upon the Internet.