Subject: [Leica] New picture
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 01:31:48 -0700

This is not a PAW, it's a PWIFLI (pronounced PWIFF-lee) meaning "Picture
Whenever I Feel Like It."  But there is a "paw" in the picture.

http://www.2alpha.net/~pklein/currentpics/HarpoLapBW.jpg

Harpo, my dog, absolutely adores my father-in-law, Mischa.  When Mischa
relaxed on our sofa recently, Harpo climbed into his lap and dozed off,
creating this idyllic scene.

The picture was shot on Kodak Supra 100, which is what happened to be in my
M4-P.  The lens was a Canon 85 f/1.9, wide open at 1/60.  The lighting was
overcast daylight coming from the window behind the sofa.  A straight scan
of a consumer one-hour lab print with no manipulation, just sized and
converted to B&W in Irfanview.

Sorry about the blown highlights--the scanner I have access to is an old,
crummy, $99 consumer model with not enough dynamic range to cope with the
backlight.  There is plenty of highlight gradation on the negative, and
some on the print.   Anyway, I like this shot enough that I'm sharing it
despite the flaws.  I really like the combination of the sleeping dog and
the old man's hand.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle

Replies: Reply from Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] New picture)