Subject: Re: [Leica] on web design packages
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 21:32:37 -0400

At 05:24 PM 7/5/01 -0700, Brian Reid wrote:

>Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:23:01 -0700
>> Stick with the old, proven technology, brethren and sistren!
>
>Networks with routers are older than networks without.
>
>Computers have to be configured differently to work in a routed environment
>than a non-routed environment. It's not unlike the difference between a
>residential telephone (one phone number per phone line) and an office PBX
(many
>phones share a few incoming trunk lines, but can call each other without
using
>it).

Thanks, Brian.

To the many of us, though, "PBX" is gibberish.  I know only vaguely of what
you speak.  For computer stores to sell this stuff as "plug-in, works
without fail" is simple BS.  For those who do know what a PBX is, mayhaps
it is easy, but, for those of us who do not, it is frustrating beyond measure.

But, I guess I did not make myself clear.  The problem isn't with trying to
make the <cursed-name> LINKSYS router work with two computers.  The problem
is more basic than this:  the first effort to hook it to ONE computer fried
my wife's computer.  The second effort simply cut her off from Internet.
Calls to their help-line are worthless, as is generally the case with all
hardware companies:  "Your problem is caused by everyone else other than
us.  Curse the Rain Gods.  Think Good Thoughts and Chant Happy Mantras.
Have a Nice Day.  Oh, I am Operater 95, and call me back if you have a
problem."  You call back, and they've never heard of an 'Operator 95'.
What a scam!  I will admit that LINKSYS has the most worthless help line I
have dealt with in almost thirty years of computer experience.

Do you think I am mindless enough to allow Pam to hook her cursed router to
MY computer until she can make it work on hers?  I HAVE a working Internet
access.  Whyever would I want to risk losing this?  <many would cheer if I
did, I acknowledge!>  The connection from the Router to MY computer will
occur only after it works on her computer and, as we have now proven, this
is impossible.

The idea is rubbish.  Stick with regular ISP's and avoid this cable
gibberish.  (And, having her computer next to mine has given me cause to
compare a 36.6 modem to her cable connection and the difference is minimal.
 She is about ready to cancel the cable connection -- a chunk of money for
no real improvement in service.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!