Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm lens purchase
From: Wilfred VonDauster <vondauster@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 11:30:18 -0600

Hi All,

Mark Langer asked about the 50mm f2.8 Elmar-M.

In my office I have a 30 x 42 inch print of a photograph I took in 1996 at
Land's end in San Francisco, California. Here's the photo:

http://www.ravensrest.com/will/coast-9.html

It was taken with the current production Elmar 50mm, and is stunningly sharp
even at that huge size. (scanned on a Nikon scanner, printed on an Epson
9500P).

At f5.6 or f8, I would pit it against any 50mm. It is fully usable at f2.8,
though here the Summicron will give a slight edge. It has, as others have said
(perhaps Erwin?), a more "brittle" sharpness to it than the very smooth
rendition one expects from the Summicron. The colors will be more saturated
than your older 50's, due to more modern glass and coatings.

An outstanding lens, IMO.

Will von Dauster

Replies: Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] 50mm lens purchase)