Subject: Re: [Leica] re: another 2 weeks in m3 hell
From: "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 19:24:38 -0400

I've been wondering for some time, reading about accesory finders, what's
wrong with me (no voluntary answers please). My first Leica was an M3, and
with it I bought a collapsible 50 Summicron which has proven to be a
wonderful lens, and a 35 Summaron f3.5, likewise. The 35 was the kind that
came without the eyes, and the Old Pro who sold me the lens said to just
look around the finder and the 35 field would be about all I could see
outside the 50 mm frame. I did this for years, with excellent results.
Later, I bought a 21 f 3.4 SA, with the finder, and of course used the
finder.

I guess my basic assumption for all these years has been that a rangefinder
camera, and the accessory finder, will never give me the exact edge-of-frame
that an SLR or view camera might, and so I have never worried about it. And
I usually print full frame (with that black border, at least when it suits
my purpose -- I am never reluctant to crop if that suits my purpose better).

Now reading the list I see many shooters worrying about the edge of frame,
accuracy of the accessory finders, to such an extent that I wonder if I am
just allowing myself to be a sloppy worker? (a retorical question). I don't
think so. I also know from practice that when I have the 21 installed I
shoot as often at arm's length as carefully framed through the finder. And
sometimes with the 50 as well.

So I guess my advice that when one finds oneself without the accessory
finder, shoot anyway.

bill harting

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] re: another 2 weeks in m3 hell)