Subject: Re: [Leica] New member
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 15:15:26 -0500

m.giphart@syntegra.nl (Giphart, Martin -Syntegra NL)7/3/014:41 PM

> For now I would like to know what M-bodies are used most and
why? Which
> bodies should be avoided and why? How useful is a built-in
lightmeter (M5 +
> M6) for I am used to use an external one with my Hassy?

Started with M3 in the mid 60's, added an M2 in the 70's, an M6
in the 80's, and an M6 TTL in the 00's. I really can't imagine
working without the M6 meter (unless I had no choice, better a
meterless M than no M at all). I've had 21SA, 28's, 35crons
various 50's, various 90's, the 125hec, various 135's with and
without eyes. Right now I'm down to the 2 M6 bodies, 28 2.8, 35
1.4 asph, 50 1 Noct, and 90 cron. And feel like I've got about
the best available (that I can barely afford. My lust lenses are
out of sight without inheritance from someone I don't even know).

Believe in fastest glass on M's.
Love the .58 with 35 and 28 - Now that I need glasses.
Love the TTL with SF20, fast glass, slow shutter speeds to get
detail in the background and Nikon Cord to get the flash off the
camera and giving dimension and placed shadows.

I believe in moving to the R system for anything over 90mm. I
never liked working with the 125 or 135's on the M's.

So my recommendation is any M6 for the metering, with focal
length of your choice, in fastest, and newest formulation that
you can afford. You'll never regret it unless you don't use it.

George