Subject: RE: [Leica] Heliopan Circular Polarizer Filter
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:57:19 -0500

Dave,

That is an excellent suggestion and one I did not consider seriously enough.
I was initially concerned about the ability of the built in lens shade to
extend properly if I used a step up ring and knew enough not to use a step
down for fear of vignetting. I did find in my search that 62mm polarizers
are a dime a dozen (so to speak) and quite common.

Since I was able to purchase the exact size this time, if I ever need to do
this again I will take you advice and go down to the local Leica dealer and
test this in person.

I assume the same would hold true for any filter, and not just a polarizer.
I have been thinking about getting a set of filters to try with Black &
White film. This opens up more purchasing possibilities if I don't have to
buy the Leica brand in the exact size.

I would then be inclined to purchase locally in person, than by mail order.

Thanks again

Tom Henson

Dave suggested:

 <I know you didn't ask this, but I rely on step rings a lot. I use a 62mm
B+W
polarizer and a 60-62 step up on my 80-200/4. I can even extend the lens
shade. I use a 55 Polarizer on my other R lenses, and several M lenses.

Before I buy stup rings and filters I'll usually test them out at a dealer.
Not "classic" Leica. But step rings really can be convenient when it comes
to many lenses with filters of varying sizes. I have 3 high quality
polarizers -- 62,55 & 49. I use them on lenses with 9 different filter
sizes.

Dave>