Subject: [Leica] Heliopan Circular Polarizer Filter
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:26:57 -0500

Good morning all.

I am getting ready to go on vacation to sunny Palm Beach and Miami in a
couple of weeks and have been trying to find a Heliopan Circular Polarizer
filter for my R8 in size 60e.

I find that the price of the Leica filter is just too high and thought I
would be able to find a good quality alternative. I choose Heliopan first
because I understand that they actually make the Leica filter, but have also
searched the web for B&W in that size as well.

I can not seem to find the Heliopan available in the 60e size. I have a
feeling that Leica has some kind of agreement not to market this size in the
US. I don't know it just seems very hard to find this size. I did manage to
find one site that sells them but I don't know the difference between a
regular circular polarizer and a Kasemann polarizer other than the Kasemann
is a lot more expensive.

I did search through the archives and found some information that seems to
lead toward the Heliopan being the better since they use a slim mount vs.
B&W. I do plan on using this filter on an 28-70 vario and an 80-200 vario. I
am concerned about vignetting on the 28-70.

I have found many sites that list the B&W brand in that size. Both in the
regular and Kasemann.

Question: anyone want to offer an opinion on the quality difference between
the two? B&W seems to be less expensive. Should I go ahead and spend the
extra money for the Kasemann? Especially if I plan on using it next to the
ocean? Or, should I just breakdown and spend the money and buy the Leica and
be done with it?

Any help of this subject would be much appreciated and I thank all in
advance for their advice and help.

Tom Henson
Houston

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com> ([Leica] My unofficial paw)