Subject: Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 13:13:23 -0400

on 6/29/01 12:37 PM, Barney Quinn, Jr. at barney@ncep.noaa.gov wrote:

> Johnny,
>
> You're right, of course. But, here's an example of how it works. Probably
> seven out
> of ten contestants in this game start talking about computers because they
> have just
> leapt to the conclusion that computers HAVE to be a pure product of the 20th
> century. Not a good play. We counter by asking about the Jacquard loom (18th
> Century
> ), punch cards, and so forth.

the difference being that the *electronic* computer required a genuine
paradigm shift (newtonian -> quantum mechanics) in physics, whereas most
other technologies (automobile, airplane etc) were more or less
sophisticated versions of 19th century inventions.

just as the steam train (and photography) arose from 18th century thinking.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205