Subject: Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:38:21 +0200

David Rodgers writes:

> Why is it that adults are more nervous about
> being photographed, than are children?

Adults watch too much news on television, and that makes them paranoid, since
the whole purpose of television news is to instill fear and worry.

> People get edgy when somebody takes aim with
> an SLR. The bigger the lens, the more nervous
> they become.

A bizarre reaction.  What do they fear from an SLR that they would not fear from
a disposable?

> An M seems to be less intrusive. Is it because
> of the smaller lenses?

Smaller everything, I think.  Plus that very old-fashioned look, like something
you found at a garage sale.  Everyone knows that the
Internet-pedophile-pornographer-paparazzi always use SLRs (even though the
eponymous Paparazzo in _La Dolce Vita_ used a Leica, as I recall!).

> I wonder what people's reactions are when they
> realize a camera is pointed at them.

If they watch a lot of news, fear and hostility.  Otherwise, mostly curiosity,
possibly shyness or a slight ego boost (all of these are seen in children, for
example).

> Is it true that an SLR forms more of a wall
> between the photographer and the subject than
> an M?

It makes a better weapon for self-defense, at least.