Subject: Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:05:52 +0100

Hi Johnny

I've just acquired a very rough pre war speed graphic for next to
nothing, in the process of refurbing it atm, along the lines of the
naked leather stripped version on Stephen Gandy's site, so far so
good, I still have the shutter left to rebuild then I just need film,
holders and a lens and I'm ready to go!  I've heard it said that at
modest enlargements the step up from 6x6 to 4x5 is not really visible
but your comments below suggest there is a marked difference, I also
dabble with 6x6 (Mamiya C220) in addition to my Leica's so I'd be
interested to know how big you print and how much difference there is
between the 4x5 and the 6x6 pics.  To date I have never made prints
bigger than 12"x16" although occasionally I'm cropping to 12x16".

> well I can be as big a curmudgeon as the rest of you!
>
> for something I just shot I wanted ultimate quality (that I could
afford I
> mean). The answer was a 40 year old 4x5 camera and a couple of
vintage
> lenses. The results are *way* beyond anything I could achieve with a
Leica