Subject: Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:34:31 -0400

on 6/28/01 2:40 AM, Mxsmanic at mxsmanic@hotmail.com wrote:

> Kyle Cassidy writes:
>
>> though you really must admit, the M has _not_
>> evolved significantly past the nikon F from
>> its earliest inception ...
>
> Neither has film photography.

of course, that's complete balls if you don't mind me saying so

film emulsions have improved to an astonishing degree

press photographers in 1940 working with 400 film in 4x5 cameras worried
about grain. Fast emulsions often had horrible chalk and soot tonality.

I know that Tri-X isn't what is used to be. And I am not going to
proseletyse for t-grain. But emulsions like APX 400 and HP5+ developed in
Xtol are wonderful and way beyond what was available 50 yrs ago.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205