Subject: [Leica] Infrared Film & Airports
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:49:03 -0700

I took several rolls of Kodak High Speed Infrared film on a recent trip to Maui, and had an interesting experience at the airport.

By the way, yes, an Me is an idea camera for infrared, since the red filter, or even the 87 filter does not obscure the viewfinder.  I found that during mid day, using a red 25 filter and setting the ISO to 200 yielded perfect exposures metering through the filter on a Summicron 35mm.  That would be about equivalent to setting a hand meter to ISO 50.  I made no change at all in the focus.  (The Leica rep told me that on the ASPH lenses no correction is needed.)

Back to the airport story.  Since I had lots of film (up to 800), I carried the film in a separate bag to have it hand inspected.  There was no problem going to Hawaii, from LAX, since it seems that they do not care to open sealed cardboard film boxes.

Coming back was different.  They started opening every plastic can that was not transparent.  Of course, the HIE is in a black can, with the red letters "OPEN IN TOTAL DARKNESS."  As the agent started to open the first can of HIE, I exclaimed, "Don't open that!"  Of course, she just about reached for her handcuffs, and gave me an evil stare. I said, "Look, it says "OPEN IN TOTAL DARKNESS."  I offered her my light bag, and she continued to stare at me.  Thoughts of sitting in a holding cell with my film flashed through my mind while I considered which was worse, opening the can, or letting it be x-rayed?  Calculating that an infrared film might not be as sensitive to high energy x-rays, I said, "I would rather have you x-ray that film than let you open it!"  To which she replied in a Clint Eastwood voice with clenched teeth, "Then you had better do that right now, sir."

So I walked back through the detector with the film cans, ringing the buzzer, set the two film cans in a tray, and put them into the x-ray machine.

Then the technician at the screen exclaimed, "Wait a minute, what is this?  Why is this guy x-raying film cans?  What is in the cans?"

So, I calmly again explained that this was infrared film that can only be opened in total darkness, and while Ms. Eastwood glared at me, I heard her say, "We could have just x-rayed the whole bag."

As I made my escape, I saw another X-RAY machine!!  It seems that you have to have bags inspected again, for plants.  I thought I was doomed.  With trepidation I handed the bag of film to the next inspector.  He glanced in, and said "Wow, that's a lot of film.  You must be some kind of photographer.  Have a nice day."

Oh, yes.  The film developed perfectly, with no fog.

So, in the future, should I just have the HIE x-rayed, or should I let them open the exposed cans?

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Infrared Film & Airports)