Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-X vs T-Max
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:23:06 +0200

Lucian Griffith writes:

> All this talk about Tri-X has me wondering if
> anyone has any opinion / preference for Tri-X
> over T-Max?

I try T-Max regularly, just to make sure that I'm not missing anything, but I
end up going back to Tri-X.  I do use TMY (P3200) for very low-light situations,
but I've exposed it at only EI 1250 in order to keep a handle on the grain (with
a Noctilux and EI 1250, you can shoot just about anything, anyway).

> Has anyone done any comparison between Tri-X
> and T-Max which could point to any preferences
> either way?

T-Max probably produces technically superior images.  I still don't like it,
though.  Tri-X is especially impressive in high-contrast situations, where it
seems to hold highlights and shadows like nothing else.

I just wish I could get the TXP version in 135, as it supposedly shows even
better shadow detail.