Subject: [Leica] In which the author narrowly escapes proving himself an ass
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:09:27 -0600

Well we have finally "finished" unpacking from our move (ie: the final never
to be unpacked in our lifetime 10% remains) and I finally had a little time
to fool around with my latest acquisition a 90/2AA. I have a trip coming up
this weekend and wanted to make sure the focus was on before exposing it to
film. So with typical Leica-User devil may care, sacrifice all in the quest
for knowledge attitude I proceeded to check it out armed with a tape
measure, tabletop tripod, loupe, Nikon F focusing screen and a remarkably
little intellect.

The first results were very difficult to obtain as I was trying to hold a
blanket over my head at the same time (after making sure there were NO
cameras with film in a two hundred foot radius). Gradually I realised this
was not necessary which greatly eased the strain. Sure enough the £$%@ thing
was OFF by about one inch to the front!!! Mentally I started composing a
true Leica-User's diatribe against falling quality control at you know where
also hinting darkly that if _______ *then this would not be happening.

While doing the above I was rubbing my focusing screen in my fingers and I
FELT A RIDGE!!! Upon closer inspection the focusing screen proper was being
prevented from resting on the upper film guide by the metal frame work of
the Nikon screen. Fifteen seconds with a tiny screwdriver later and I
repeated the test....Focus is now spot on.

So what can I say great cameras, some what less than brilliant users.

Yours sheepishly,

John Collier

*please fill in the blank with your favourite Leica pet peeve. Some examples
I have seen are:

rangefinder flare was not so bad
there was a self timer
I could get a black paint finish
the finder was (brighter, dimmer, bigger, smaller, had a babe/beau alarm)
had been checked by Erwin P
had been checked by Mike J
etc