Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICA FOR SALE
From: Robert Burgess <bobburgess@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:29:36 -0400

Now, I'm gonna say this because I am new to the ranks of R8 users but did
take the plunge and got a body  & some used (current versions) lenses.
Very exciting.
Very fine camera, I like the way it gets you over the initial "My god but it
is so big and so fat" and into
"My god it is so big and so fat and so comfortable and easy to use!"

I did think the diopter adjustment method was a bit strange but I think I
did it correctly.

I am a professional photographer and have been for 20 years.  I use Canon
daily for work, indoors and out. I took my Canon EOS 3  and the f2.8 / 28mm
- -70mm zoom and stuck it  on a tripod and  then put the R8 on the tripod and,
using different settings on the Canon zoom and 35mm f2/ 50mm f2/ 60mm f2.8/
90mm f2.8 on the R8, shot the same picture of flowers at f2.8, 5.6, and 11.
I shot E100SW film, all on DX settings on both cameras.  The Canon was set
to autofocus and the R8 was focused manually with the Universal Screen.
 The day was overcast -natural softbox- lighting.

I just had the film processed without mounting or cutting so I could lay the
results from both side by side.

I went through each frame by frame with a Schneider 4x loupe.

I have to say, if there is a difference, I can not see it.

Both rolls show wonderful sharp images with the contrast you would expect to
see.  The Leica was nothing special.  No where was there a knock your socks
off edge that looked like it could cut you, which, I must say I was kind of
expecting.

Don't get me wrong, the lenses were all sharp.  The colors were lovely,
mostly yellows and greens with a lot of beads of water from a recent rain on
the leaves.

Perhaps I was expecting too much or the wrong thing, and I understand that
there could be shortcomings on my part and ability,  but, dare I say it?  I
was surprised at , either, how good the Canon was or how "average" the Leica
images were.

I have used M series equipment for quite awhile and love the system dearly.
I don't feel that the R stuff measures up.

I would love to hear from anyone ( please don't seek me out and stone my
house) that has done any similar "real world" testing.

Okay, I'm going to hit the Send Now button...okay here I go... okay.. or as
my 10 year old son said in the movie TITANIC as it went on and on...

so sink already.

Replies: Reply from Michael Gardner <mlgardner99@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Bob's Lens Test - NOT for Sale)