Subject: Re: [Leica] Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:09:47 -0500

David,

Thanks for your nice comment on "Joseph and the Technicolor
Dreamcoat"  http://www.SonC.com/joseph/

I loaded Vuescan on my machine after I got your email, and
it looks good.  It does have a learning curve, that I don't
think I have the time to attack now, maybe next week when
the smoke clears.  My wife is in the play, so extra time is
short around our house right now.

I just loaded Nikonscan 3.1 which works within Photoshop,
however, it does limit you to an 8 bit environment.  I am
following the advice on http://www.computer-darkroom.co.uk/
and converting to a 16 bit image before I do work on
Photoshop, and that seems to give me a little more umph in
handling the levels encountered in low light shooting.  I
was reading a thread I found about Vuescan, and I hope I can
make it work as well for me as others have.

Regards,

SonC
http://www.SonC.com

> Sonny,
>
> Nice photos. Very colorful.
>
> Have you ever tried Hamrick's Vuescan on your LS-30? Does
multi pass
> scanning and greatly lowers the noise in those
underexposed shadows. Makes
> it a 12-bit scanner, essentially. Allows you to adjust
levels and color
> balance in 16 bit mode in Photoshop. The interface is
pretty simple. Very
> nice for batch scanning. All for $40.
>
> Your images are nice, especially considering the lighting;
which as you say
> can be tricky. I like Nikonscan. I use it half the time,
Vuescan the other
> half.  I find Vuescan really handy on chromes. Pushes the
limits of the