Subject: Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.
From: "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:04:43 -0400

Ted,

> Well said! There are too many R8 nay sayers who espouse drivel about the R8
> without ever taking one in hand and shooting a few dozen rolls.
>
> They're usually know it all's from what they've read or the quickie touchy
> feelie in the camera store when making their great comments of:

Thanks or your kind words. High praise indeed, coming form you. This "instant
expert" part of the internet actually helped to make what should have been the
simple purchase of an R8 something of an act of courage. Take my new lens. I got
the Japanese 28-70 zoom. I will be the first to admit that this piece of glass
isn't at the top of the leica food chain. That's OK. No zoom lens could be. But,
net lore has it that this lens is made by Sigma, and is therefore an expensive
piece of trash. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've owned a couple of
Sigma's 28-70/f2.8 zooms. Believe me, this lens is in a whole different league,
both mechanically and optically. Sigma did a good job on this one. It's a Leica
lens, and I'm getting great results with it.

I started out to buy an R8 twice. Both times, as luck would have it, the LUG had
one of its periodic QC threads wherein someone buys a new Leica product, is
unhappy, and turns to the LUG for group therapy. Anger is dangerous stuff, and
words do have consequences.  I am sure that people who author these acerbic
posts think that they are doing the right thing, but I sure allowed them to
scare me. I had to work my way through a "let the reader beware" kind of thing.
I'm glad I did! Some of the tripe which people post really does cost Leica
sales. Perhaps that's why some people do it. Makes me sad. This toxic trash gets
archived and can then pollute things for years.

The R8 is a hell of a camera.

Barney

Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Copyright questions)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Copyright questions)