Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm lenses with eyes
From: Stephen Patriquen <patriquen@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 02:10:43 -0700 (PDT)

Well, anything is possible, but it seems like a lot of
work, with the little ball bearing detent and all. My
later M3-style Summicron just has two screws that hold
on the eyes. It's been a while, but I believe my old
Summilux was the same?

Going by the (unreliable) serial number guide, the
Summaron with the fancy removable eyes appears to be
from 1956, if that helps at all.

Thanks
Steve Patriquen
London

<My guess is that Leitz had not developed the
processes for
manufacturing the
early lenses with <eyes> integrally cast with the lens

mount and that the
removable feature was simply the first design created
enable the lens to
be used on an M3 without separate 35mm viewfinder.

Any other thoughts?       Seth      LaK 9>