Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm lenses with eyes
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:36:56 EDT

Steve from London writes:
<< Snip>> <<However, I note that at least one version of the 35mm
 f3.5 Summaron for the M3 has removable eyes. You
 loosen a thumbscrew and the eyes slide off - much like
 a 50mm DR Summicron.
  It doesn't appear that this shifts the focus cam, so
 what was the use of this feature?
  Enquiring minds need to know...
  Steve Patriquen
 London >>

Hi Steve,
I used a 35mm/f3.5 Summaron for about a year without the eyes, and it is true
that it will not focus accurately thru the rangefinder.  You can, however,
use the lens effectively by simply scale focusing using the distance scale on
the lens body.  I finally found a set of eyes for my lens and they make it
much nicer to use.  The view through a M3 with 50mm framelines minified by
the eyes, is very easy to use while wearing eyeglasses.  The M6 with the 35
and eyes is not quite so nice, but still fully  usable.

Regards, Paul Connet