Subject: Re: [Leica] Copyright questions now Fire Alarms
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:22:41 -0400

It is possible for a strobe light to set off a certain type of smoke alarm.
I have seen it happen.  When the video studio where I work was relatively
new it had an infrared beam smoke detector with an emitter in one corner and
a detector in the opposite corner.  Our engineer rigged a red strobe light
for an "on air" light and when he tested it it set off the smoke detector,
and the fire alarm in the whole building.

It was a stupid design.  Whenever we moved a light batten it performed the
same trick.  They eventually replaced it.

I don't know if a regular camera flash would do the same but it might under
the right circumstances.

Mike D