Subject: [Leica] Re: Calgary Stampede Trip
From: "Victor Wek" <photvictor@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:09:57

I do not know about photographic big events, but I was on Stampede last year
with my Leica M6 and Nikon with 70-300 Nikon zoom.
This year I am going to be there for few days.
On Friday 6 July there is big parade in downtown, I think, it starts at 9am.
It is good to be earlier to pick up good spot at front. Take a tourist
chairs for your family, the parade runs for more then 2 hours. The parade is
a historic fashion show with animals, local politician and figures like Hart
brothers (WWF). That nite there is a firework at 10pm. They fire from
Stampede Park area.
After the parade entertainment starts. There are two main places of actions:
downtown and Stampede Park. In downtown there are a lot funny figures, music
players, red RCMP guys on the streets. And on a square, near US consulat -
Gov.Centre (~1st, 6av) are historic presentations, each takes around half
hour. We have there: dances, natives parade on horses, different bands, gun
fights...
In Stampede Park you have animals presentation (different types of cows,
horses, pigs, goose...), native village with biggest tipi and tipi contest,
there is flea market, military show, and of course rodeo, where my 300mm
lens was too short. On rodeo you have wagon racing, cow chasing, bull and
horse riding. Before rodeo starts, around 10 am each day there are country
singers presentations on rodeo stadium. Singers also sing in one of the
tents, it is dark inside. Mostly Canadian divas are there. You can get close
with any of singers and snap photo together. I will advise you to go there
on Sunday, free entrance and breakfast. Try to use some tricks to avoid
those big lineups at the entry or for food.
I attended rodeo here as in Spain I attended corrida, just to see.
Outside of Calgary, Drumheler has Mars - desert type of scenery, interesting
late evening shadows, it is great for portrait location. In dinosaurs museum
you can use flash and no tripod.
I am not excited about Banff, too commercial, nature is devastated. I would
rather go to Lake Louise and photograph the Lake or 10 km further down the
road is famous Moraine Lake of the 10 picks.
This year I will probably take 2 M cameras plus 35 and 90mm lenses (or new
Tri Elmar if I get it on time). When it will be a sunny day, I will take
slow film with me (Velvia, K64, Reala), in order to blur the background. The
photos conditions are tricky, because of really big differences between
shadows and sunlight, K64 will be better then Velvia for that. Fill flash
will be ideal there, too. I'm thinking also about ND filter.
Some info about Stampede is on:
http://www.calgarystampede.com

See you,
Victor