Subject: [Leica] Venting about photo ethics (formerly Copyright)
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:37:24 -0500

Lucien

>>I understand that I'm in someone else's building (in the first case a
public
educational institution gallery, the second a department store) and that
they can make up any rules that they like<<

Through this discourse -- on copyright and some earlier posts on
photographing people in public -- I'm more confused than ever regarding when
and where a person should or shouldn't photograph in public, legally,
morally and ethically.

The thing I remember most from my (long-ago and brief) internship as a news
photographer was that I really struggled with ethical issues. There were a
couple of situation where I was really uncomfortable taking a certain
photograph. I felt that I had to for the sake of reporting, but it bothered
me.

Today am I an artist, a reporter, a portraitist, a documenatarian, a
tourist, all or none of the above. (Is documentarian even a word?). Where
should a person draw the line? Should we follow the letter of the law? Seems
to me the law is 18 percent gray card in many areas. People's feelings vary
widely on the subject. Who's right and who's wrong? Who makes the rules? I
have my own set of rules, right or wrong they may be.

I admit there are times even today when people give me that "don't you dare
take my picture" look, I may grab a frame. But that's rare. Most often I'll
ask permission or skip the opportunity entirely.

That's probably why I don't like street photography (not be be confused with
Mall photography). Even kids on the street these days expect to receive some
type of compensation for being photographed. Landscape photography is so
much easier. As long as it's on public property.

Why should any business, or artists ever be angry at having their work
photographed? There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Dave

BTW, this post is copywrited by the author. Any unathorized reproduction in
full or in part without the express written consent of the author is
prohibited....