Subject: Re: [Leica] Age Differences
From: Phil Marcus <pmarcus@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:02:58 -0500

Well, I just did an informal test:  I compared the scanned images of color
negs taken with my new 50mm Summicron and the mid '70's 28mm Elmarit.

The Summincron does have a little more contrast, but both lenses have the
color in daylight that I remember - neutral to rather cool.  My Nikon stuff
would have been much contrastier and warmer.  I like being able to see into
the shadows.  This is good glass.  In fact, let me elaborate:

Everything I've shot with the 50mm adds up to one thing.  It's the best
optic I've ever used.  The 28mm is no slouch, but wide angles being what
they are, and, I guess, twenty or so years of optical progress means it
isn't quite as crisp.  It's really noticeable in the scans;  and it's
repeatable.

Thanks for the comments - I feel better owning a smorgasborg of lenses.
Funny, the Summicron is one of the least expensive lenses they make, but the
image it produces is sublime.  I guess I'm gonna have to get used to
shooting a 50mm (always seemed a little long for me).  I wonder what a  50mm
Summilux from the same period as the 28mm would look like.  I was worried
the newer lenses would look too much like the Japanese glass I've left
behind.  Glad to see they look like I remember them.

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Age Differences)