Subject: [Leica] Use of Tripod (Was Copyright questions)
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:10:05 -0700

Yes, I would really love to see this question taken into the courts.
I understand restrictions on tripods where they could interfere with
pedestrian traffic (e.g. N.Y. Times Square),  or present a nuisance
and hazard, as in a museum.  But the notion that if you are on a
tripod, you are a professional photographer and are going to use the
pictures commercially should be challenged.

One friend was kicked off what appeared to her to be a public
sidewalk by a private security guard because she was trying to
photograph the building of Oracle, the software firm in Redwood
Shores, CA.  Another friend told me that if they think you are a
professional, they won't permit you to take photographs in any public
park in San Jose, CA unless you pay something like $45 for a permit
that is valid for only a few hours.

Just hearing about it burns me up.

ACLU: Where are you when you are needed?

Herb

Portion of original message

It raises the hair on my back to even think about being prohibited
from photographing a tree because I might look like a professional
photographer
with my 4x5 or 8x10 camera on a tripod, but yet any tourist with a
point and shoot, or some sneaky guy with his 6x17 Linhof, Xpan, or
M6, can shoot
the tree hand held without a problem.  I wish I had the money to take
them to court.  In my eyes this is called prior restraint and should
be
illegal.  Just like documenting (with your camera) the experience of
a live musical event.  The making of photographs does not violate any
copyright
or laws.  Tape recorders, on the other hand would violate the music's
copyright and that is understood.  It should be my right as a citizen
photograph ANY public situation I encounter no matter what!  In fact,
I know of no federal or state statute that prohibits the "taking" of
photographs, with the exception of governmental/military
restrictions.  It is only the future distribution, sale, or display
of those images that
would constitute any potential copyright infringement or potential
legal challenge.
- --
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org