Subject: Re: [Leica] use of ND filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:02:11 -0700

Dan Honemann wrote:

> > bingo!!!
> >
> > or slow film and an uber-flash
> >
> > amounts to the same thing
>
> Well, this is what I thought the first time, but then Mark convinced me it
> won't work.  But I have the feeling I'm not seeing something quite right
> here.

That's cause all is not the same.
Using slow film is not the same as using a ND on faster film.
AN ND filter has you needing a bigger Fstop for your flash which is actually
what we wish to avoid.
In effect an ND filter shrinks your flash.
We want a small F stop so the sun does not wipe us out but a big enough flash to
be able to work at that small F stop.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA