Subject: Re: [Leica] Is this normal dealer behavior?
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:46:11 +0200

Yes, it is. It certainly is not an indicator for a fraudolent dealer.

In Germany, most retailers and restaurants except the expensive ones
refuse to accept credit cards. Although Germany has the reputation of
being a wealthy country, the retail business is very, very competitive
pricewise. Foreign retailers like Walmart could tell a story. The
commission plus delayed payments for credit card sales would be a
noticeable burden. Given the strong domestic sales and the ubiquitous EC
card (no commission and instant money transfer), there are only moderate
incentives to accept credit cards. Even retailers who have valid
contracts with credit card firms usually try to avoid them. Typically
they refuse to sell "on sale" items on credit card. I am however in
doubt whether this is covered by their contracts.

"Leica bei Meister" and "Foto Hobby" are exceptions. In particular "Foto
Hobby" is very much dedicated to mailorder, internet and credit card
sales overseas, with "adjusted" prices, of course.

Foreign visitors to Germany may find that inconvenient and this
contributes to Germany's reputation as being a "service desert". But on
the other hand I find the commissions excessive. As a domestic customer
paying in cash or with EC (Eurocheque) card I would not want to
subsidise those paying with credit card.

I have three credit cards, but I hardly use them at home (only
sometinmes for train tickets). I only have opportunity to use them
abroad, e.g. to pay hotel bills, rent cars.

Hans-Peter