Subject: Re: [Leica] use of ND filters
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:55:27 -0400

on 6/10/01 4:27 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com wrote:

> Dan Honemann wrote:
>>
>> Mark,
>>
>> So are you saying that one _could_ effectively use fill flash even with a
>> synch of 1/50 sec. in bright daylight provided one uses ND filters and a
>> much more powerful flash than an SF-20 (say a Metz whatever)?
>>
>> Dan
>
> I said you don't want ND filters.
>
> Say your meter reading outdoors at a 50th was f8.

Yeah but you'd have to be shooting Velvia to get that kind of reading!

Say you're shooting 100 or 160 asa film like I was today (both). Nice sunny
day with open shade at around 1/250 @ f/8 or f/5.6.

On the M your flash possibilities start at 1/50 @ f/16. You might set your
flash one or two stops less than that say f/11 or f/8. Something like a viv
283 will handle that with ease up to about 12 feet. The SF20 is going to be
crapping itself.

Whereas shooting with the T90 your flash possibilities start at 1/250 @ f/8
and your flash might be set at f/5.6 or f/4.

The distance thing is really moot for me as who shoots flash at distances >
12' really? If you do any foreground gets totally NUKED. Get closer!

I do disagree with those who think twinkie flash is evil/ugly. Done right
it's just great. With 100-200 reversal film it's really beautiful. I don't
really like EVS100 for instance, but add a bit of twinkie and it's nice.

I would buy an M with a higher flash sync for sure.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] use of ND filters)