Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Paterson film tank/XTOL question
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:22:28 -0700

Pete Su wrote:

> --- Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> wrote:
> > Undilute developers - at least 250 ml
> > Dilute developers - at least 500 ml
> > Very dilute developers - 1 liter
> >

> I think the book means these quantities to be the total amount of solution to
> put into the tank. So if you are diluting Xtol 1:3, you'd want 500ml or 1 liter
> per roll of diluted stock solution.
>
> The book makes a point that for D76, anyway, they think it necessary to have
> 250ml of undiluted stock solution per 80 square inches of film for best
> results.
>
> I think this is on the paranoid side.
>
> Pete

I agree.
But it's easy enough to find out for yourself.
If with your diluted as much as possible solution your negs are lacking in contract...
lacking in density in the highlights...(same thing)
and you are say giving them ten minutes
	you have to print them on 4 or 5 paper or filter…  not good.

So you give your next bath of negs 15 minutes.
If the increase in the  density in the highlights is minimal and you have a
fogged over look especially if that fogged over look is visible around the
sprocket holes...
you are subjecting your negs to a lot of time in used up chemical.
So you have to use more chemical per roll like Kodak says. And Anchell/Troop i guess.
either by having less rolls in your big tank
or a stronger dilution (more Xtol less water)

This so far with xtol only happends to me with Delta 3200.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/