Subject: Re: [Leica] Bird Photography (with apologies to Doug)
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:21:46 -0400

Now if you really want a long reach with very
little light coming through, use the Televid
spotting scope with the camera adapter and
stacked 1.4x and 2x extenders.  You get a 2200mm
lens at f/20-something.  Focussing is pretty
much by guess since the viewfinder image is so
dim.
Unlike Doug, before whose work I stand in awe, I
could never master the 400/6.8 Telyt.  My
birding outfit right now consists of the 280/2.8
with both 1.4x and 2x extenders (as approved by
Ted Grant) attached to a Wimberly Sidekick atop
a Gitzo 340.  Moving that combination afield has
the added benefit of an effective upper body
workout.
I guess one of the reasons I prefer butterfly
photography is that the equipment is a lot
lighter.

Roy