Subject: Re: [Leica] film
From: Tom Christiansen <tomchr@softhome.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:32:05 -0700

Hi,

>Would someone be so kind as to point me to a source(s), comments etc., on
>current slide films, and some on B&W.
>A note: I notice that a lot of the photography in the Natl., Geographic,
>of late, seems to be on Fuji film rather than Kodachrome. The film, whose
>spelling escapes me right now starts with a V. I would like to know about
>a serious alternative to Kodak.

I've tried three types of Fuji slide film:

Velvia, ISO 50 (shot at ISO 40). Very saturated film. Provides very vibrant
colors for scenics, flowers, etc. Does violence to skin tones.

Provia 100F [RDP-III], ISO 100. Very sharp 100 speed film. Performs good
with skin tones. A good film for everyday casual use.

Astia, ISO 100. Very accurate colors! Excellent skin tones.

Don't know much about B&W films, but if you should ever need a good print
film, try Fuji Superia Reala 100. Fuji NPS 160 is also used a lot by
wedding photographers because of the accurate skin tones and low contrast.

Tom