Subject: [Leica] Why does it cost more for USA Leicas than grey market
From: "Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:21:05 -0500

For all of the business experts out there on this list... I'm surprised no
one mentioned one of the biggest factors for why U.S.A authorized equipment
cost more than gray.

Advertising, Advertising, Advertising, Advertising .....

While you and I get essentially no benefit out of it, U.S.A Leica dealers
should when Leica ads are run in major photography magazines, or when Leica
U.S.A. sponsors local events, shows, demo days etc... etc......
(Or  if Leica U.S.A pays co-op advertising....  A practice where the
manufacturer helps pay for a local ad featuring their product)

So U.S.A dealers have to pay a bit more for the product and we do to....

This  is really the case for Canon and Nikon which spend a ton of money on
national and co-op advertising...

So.... Ted......  I'm thinking about buying a 15mm, what kind of filter
should I get to protect the front element ????

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio, Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador:
http://ecuadorphotos.tripod.com