Subject: [Leica] Eye-controled AF..... ah... not all rosy
From: "Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:42:23 -0500

 In addition to Leica M and R... I have a EOS system I use for work...

I have and would avoid an eye-controlled AF system like the plague.

I suppose if you have one subject in a photo and that is the only thing your
going to look at.... you could look at their eyes and shoot....  The system
seems to work well in the camera store and it does focus on whatever you are
looking.......

But, quite honest... I shoot, or I think I shoot a lot of things relying a
mostly on peripheral vision for overall balance and composition....  I often
make quick glances at different things going or people positions and
expressions around the image.... or checking the background to see if
anything is distracting or if it is out-of-focus enough....

The last thing I want is the camera focusing on the background when I glance
at something entering the frame etc.... or when I'm looking at out-of-focus
areas...  And I don't want to change my shooting habits to conform to the
camera's abilities....

But then again.... I haven't used my EOS in AF mode in a couple of years and
never in AE....

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio, Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador: