Subject: Re: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:33:49 -0600

- --=====================_125213637==_.ALT

At 01:05 PM 6/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Just wondering....if gear does not arrive from one country to another through
>"official channels," then how does it arrive?  The parent company must be
>selling
>it to someone who is not an official channel, right?

Generally, gray market importers take advantage of differing exchange
rates, countries that have few if any import duties, and so forth.  One
also sees companies set up as distributors in other countries, but they
only distribute to their own company in the US.  They avoid the support
costs that Leica USA has, and the inventory stocking costs that US dealers
have.  The main reason Leica USA or Nikon USA (or whoever USA) object is
that the gray market equipment can be sold for less than the dealers
pay.  If everyone buys gray market, there are no more USA dealers.

(No, I am not a dealer, although I played one on TV)   ;>)

Kevin M. Bell
www.Camera-Collectors.Com

- --=====================_125213637==_.ALT

At 01:05 PM 6/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:<br>
arrive from one country to another through<br>
&quot;official channels,&quot; then how does it arrive?&nbsp; The parent
company must be selling<br>
it to someone who is not an official channel, right?&nbsp;
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Generally, gray market importers take advantage of differing exchange
rates, countries that have few if any import duties, and so forth.&nbsp;
One also sees companies set up as distributors in other countries, but
they only distribute to their own company in the US.&nbsp; They avoid the
support costs that Leica USA has, and the inventory stocking costs that
US dealers have.&nbsp; The main reason Leica USA or Nikon USA (or whoever
USA) object is that the gray market equipment can be sold for less than
the dealers pay.&nbsp; If everyone buys gray market, there are no more
USA dealers.<br><br>
(No, I am not a dealer, although I played one on TV)&nbsp;&nbsp;
;&gt;)<br><br>
Kevin M. Bell<br>

Replies: Reply from "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com> (RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used)
Reply from Robert Clark <rclark@desupernet.net> (Re: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used)