Subject: Re: [Leica] Ultra-wide on an SLR
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:04:33 -0400

Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> wrote:

> Best bet if you are considering moving to a super wide don't
> even blink, go Elmar-R 15/3.5 right off  the bat... if you can
> afford it!  If you mess with the inbetween's you eventually will
> want to go 15, trust me been there and done that. Got the 15
> and never looked back!

I do have the Voigt 15 Heliar and really like the results I get with it.
Maybe you're right, Ted...on the SL2 I should skip the 'tweeners and go
right for the serious iron. :-) Up 'til now I've used SLRs mainly for
close-up and long telephoto stuff. Prior to test-driving the 21 I'd never
used a lens wider than 28mm on a reflex body. I've been pleasantly surprised
by how nice the 21 Super Angulon handles when I'm framing & focusing through
it. It's a focal length I've always felt kinda awkward with on RF cameras,
though again the results usually have been worth it. If the Super Elmar
handles as comfortably as the Super Angulon I may end up with the 15/21/28
combination, or just 15/28, on the SL2.

The 16mm fisheye interests me precisely because of the inherent strangeness
of its images. Hard to say whether it could be a long-term creative tool or
something I'd just have short-term fun with. Guess I should try it and find
out!

- -Dave-