Subject: Re: [Leica] Ultra-wide on an SLR
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 05:09:45 -0700

David Kieltyka wrote:
>>I'm tempted to get the 16 for my impending trip to the southwest US. Lots
of extreme
wide-angle subject matter out there. I have a 21mm f/4 Super Angulon on loan
from an acquaintance and am finding, to my surprise, I get on much better
with this focal length via an SLR than on a rangefinder.<<<<<

Hi Dave,
Best bet if you are considering moving to a super wide don't even blink, go
Elmar-R 15/3.5 right off  the bat... if you can afford it!  If you mess with
the inbetween's you eventually will want to go 15, trust me been there and
done that. Got the 15 and never looked back!

And if you are having success, "much to your surprise" with the 21mm, you'll
be ecstatic over the 15. This lens stands alone for the image it creates and
film cutting quality it delivers. It is one of my mainstay lenses for
scenics, interiors and images that are completely different from anything
anyone else can deliver, unless they are working with the same focal length.

The 19 is close, but even then, once you see what you can do and deliver
with a 15 you wont want to ever change.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant