Subject: Re: [Leica] Movement of Aperture Ring on Summicron-M 90 APO
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 12:33:03 -0700

Anthony wrote:

> Are there any owners of the Summicron-M 1:2/90 APO out there who could try
> moving the aperture ring on the lens and tell me exactly how much play they see
> in the ring?  I got this superlative lens a few days ago, and I note that the
> aperture ring has a bit more play than my other two lenses (the Summicron 35
> ASPH and the Noctilux).  I'd say that the total play on the ring is a bit less
> than 1/10 stop, which isn't really significant from a picture-taking standpoint,
> but it's a bit more than on the other lenses, and I'd like to know if this is
> typical for this lens.  For what it's worth, on the Noctilux, play in the
> aperture ring is nil, and on the Summicron 35 ASPH, it is small enough that you
> feel it rather than see the ring shift.
>
> My theory (and hope) is that this play in the lenses is just a consequence of
> the way aperture linkages work, but any reassurance would be most welcome.
>
> Other than that, the lens performs extremely well.  I was surprised and relieved
> to discover that I could get steady, sharply-focused pictures even on a cloudy
> day, with my 0.72 M6 (although I still want to get an additional 0.85 M6 one of
> these days, when I scrape up the funds).  I know the lens is well known for
> extreme sharpness, but I was surprised that I could profit from that even when
> holding the camera in my hand (as opposed to putting it on a tripod).  Very
> nice.

Mine is all work no play which i believe is all should tolerate from a lens.
My 135 3.4 apo Elmarit is loose; very easy to turn the F stops but there is no
"play" that i can think of. One of these days I'll get that tightened up but I'd
recommend having your  Summicron-M 1:2/90 APO looked at immediately.
You are in denial. I sympathize.
When you get it back and it works "feels and is" perfectly you'll love it even more.
For me half my love of the lens is as much the results it's perfect balance and feel.
You are loosing out.
For the time being.
Someones going to have to pry it off your camera out of your hands to bring it
in to be I'm sure quickly fixed.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA