Subject: [Leica] Movement of Aperture Ring on Summicron-M 90 APO
From: "Anthony" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 13:50:59 +0200

Are there any owners of the Summicron-M 1:2/90 APO out there who could try
moving the aperture ring on the lens and tell me exactly how much play they see
in the ring?  I got this superlative lens a few days ago, and I note that the
aperture ring has a bit more play than my other two lenses (the Summicron 35
ASPH and the Noctilux).  I'd say that the total play on the ring is a bit less
than 1/10 stop, which isn't really significant from a picture-taking standpoint,
but it's a bit more than on the other lenses, and I'd like to know if this is
typical for this lens.  For what it's worth, on the Noctilux, play in the
aperture ring is nil, and on the Summicron 35 ASPH, it is small enough that you
feel it rather than see the ring shift.

My theory (and hope) is that this play in the lenses is just a consequence of
the way aperture linkages work, but any reassurance would be most welcome.

Other than that, the lens performs extremely well.  I was surprised and relieved
to discover that I could get steady, sharply-focused pictures even on a cloudy
day, with my 0.72 M6 (although I still want to get an additional 0.85 M6 one of
these days, when I scrape up the funds).  I know the lens is well known for
extreme sharpness, but I was surprised that I could profit from that even when
holding the camera in my hand (as opposed to putting it on a tripod).  Very
nice.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Movement of Aperture Ring on Summicron-M 90 APO)