Subject: [Leica] Re: Back aches
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 07:35:53 -0400

To Everyone who mentioned David Alan Harvey,
    Even before I hit the send key, I knew the "Harvey" approach would be
brought up.
    I known Harv for about 30 years, ever since I asked him to be a judge a
Pennsylvania Press Photographers' Association contest, where he tried to hit
on my girl friend.
    While he makes excellent pictures, I find them repetitive. Look at the
display on the Digital Journalist web site. The forty-ish photographs are
all great, but after a while there is a sameness to them. Harv's recent
pieces in the National Geographic are the same way. The one he did on Harlem
just did not do it for me. But some excellent snaps.
    Also, and this a very important also, he is given assignments which fit
into his style.  He doesn't get tossed into situations the way Ted , I or
many other photographers face. You can't assign Harvey, to say, a visit of
Queen Elizabeth II to Canada, where he won't get any special access. At a
hundred feet away, a 50mm lens does always cut it.
    If you want a Geographic photographer to admire, look at the work of Jim
Stanfield. In my opinion, Jim is the best of the lot. His stories are always
rich and varied.
    While you may travel to an assignment with a lot of gear, that doesn't
automatically mean you are going to use it. If just means it is available,
if necessary.
Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA