Subject: RE: [Leica] A Red Dot story
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:25:20 -0700

>I really want to lets this topic go, it is not going anywhere, but this I
>need to reply to.  I agree with you 100% on things like AE, back loading,
>auto advance and rewind.  But a faster shutter/sync speed is a totally
>different things.  The faster shutter is simply improving what is already
>there.  You seek of the simplicity of the M, I agree.  I do not believe that
>a faster shutter is going to add complexity, look, or feel of the camera.
>This is no different then the M6 and M6 TTL, if I am not mistaken someone
>could pick up either one and shoot ambient light and never know nor care if
>the M6 was a TTL or pre TTL body.  But for those of us that use a flash and
>want TTL, it would make all the difference in the world.
>I agree with you 100%, the AE and auto stuff would be a crime to add to the
>M6.  It is not right, sort of like making a family version four door of a
>Ferrari, or a sports version of a mini van, it simply does not fit, it is
>not right.  But on the other hand, allowing a Ferrari or mini van to have a
>better sound system, if you like music when you drive, use it.  If you like
>to hear the engine or the kids, don't use it.  Having it is not going to how
>one drives the car, simply add something IF the driver wants to take
>advantage of it!
>Sam

But Sam, according to posts from other Luggers who know far more about such
things than I, the faster shutter would require modification to the camera
body, just as TTL ability did; the TTL M6 is not the same camera as the
pre-TTL M6, just with TTL flash metering added: it is a different camera.

And for the record, though I am not one of them, many Luggers have
complained about the changes Leica made to the M6 when it went TTL - a
slightly taller body, a shutter speed dial that turns in the opposite
direction - if I am not mistaken, even the VF was effected by that change
(RF patch flare, "disappearing" right-side frame line for 90 mm lenses).
Other little things like the inability to use the Summicron 50 DR with the
M6 TTL, are also due to the "slight" modifications made in the M6 so as to
give it TTL flash metering.

I too would like to let this topic die, but it seems to be one of those
vampire threads, rising from the dead every so often when some folks get
the idea that the M would be a much better camera if only this or that
feature were added to it. Last year at Hexar time it was AE, now it's
faster shutter speeds, next year it'll be something else. If folks just
used the camera for what it is and not what they wished it would be, that
could just be the stake in the heart of this ol' vampyre.

Guy

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] A Red Dot story)