Subject: RE: [Leica] A Red Dot story
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:56:28 -0700

>Dave,
>
>I agree and disagree with you.  We most definitely need to appreciate the M
>for what it is.  But on the same note, I think we should push Leica to
>continue to improve the camera.  TTL was a very nice step in that direction.
>There are other things that could be improved, also.
>
>Society, in general,  has not gotten to where it is today simply be
>appreciating where it was at.  We are where we are today because people
>continue to push for "improvements".  I am not about to debate if this
>"improvements" are really improvements.  My only point is that it is only
>Human nature to what to change and improve things.
>
>Sam

This position presupposes that "improvements" are universal - i.e. that we
all want the same thing - and that is not the case. For example, I
personally don't give a flaming fig what the speed sync of the M6 is since
I never use flash. A faster sync speed is immaterial to me. The same is
true of AE, AF, and other electronic "improvements" - don't want 'em, don't
need 'em; that's why I chose to use an M camera.

Now, the ability to use a 24 or 21 lens w/out an external viewfinder (i.e.
with internal brightlines), *that* would be an improvement for me.

Guy

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] A Red Dot story)