Subject: Re: [Leica] What is faster, AF or MF in low light?
From: "Carleton, Sam" <Sam.Carleton@FMR.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:26:36 -0400

I am sorry, but I beg to differ with your assertion that a "Nikon F100 will
focus a 100mm f/2 in low light on someone's eyelashes in much less then a
half a second".  The main reason I question this statement is that I do not
know of a 100mm f/2 that can mount to a Nikon.  I just check Tamron, Tokina,
and Sigma web site, non of them make a 100mm f/2.  Canon makes a 100mm f/2,
but last time I check it is not possible to mount a Canon lens on a Nikon
F100.  So what lens did you use to focus on someone's eyelashes in much less
then a half a second in low light?  Or where you using a Canon and did not
realize it?

I own a F5 and the 105 f/2D AF-DC.  Let me tell you, the camera hunts and
hunts for focus when the light is low and there is little contract for the
AF sensor to focus on.  Manually I have a bear of a time focus the camera.
I find my M6 (.58 at that) MUCH easier to focus a 90/2 in the same low light
situation.

Sam