Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital cropping
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:39:05 -0700

><Snip>
> I projected some slides the other day. I found myself thinking about how I
> could improve things in Photoshop. But what if the  objective of the shoot
> was for a slide presentation? Shouldn't that be my goal? Then, any digitally
> manufactured improvements are icing on the cake.
>
> Being proficient in Photoshop is no reason to become a sloppy photographer.
> But I find myself thinking things like, "Who cares about dof for eliminating
> the background? I've got Gaussian Blur."
>
> Don't mean to go overboard here. I realized not everyone gets as lazy behind
> the shutter as I do.
>
> Dave

You could have been projecting them thinking about how you'd Ciba them. Or what
size internegs you'd make for them. Or how you'd set them up for a high end
inkjet process.
It's all part of a/the process.
A slide can be an end. But if you are into print making it is only the beginning.
IT's only natural to think of this process at it's various stages.
Photoshop gives one more options than a Fuji Direct positive print.
Nothing wrong with that.
To NOT have these possibilities in ones head as one views ones slides would be
short sighted.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA