Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital cropping
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:58:03 -0500

Doug

>>in a similar vein I'll expose K64 for highlight
detail expecting to bring up the mid-tones with the Levels slider, just
because it's so easy.

Is this cheating?  Some may disagree but I think not.  What I'm doing is
using a new tool to expand the useful range of light where I can use my
favorite films.<<

I don't think it's cheating, at all. I think all the digital capabilities
are great. The only concerns I've had of late are that I might be easing up
a bit on the front end, knowing that I can fix things on the back end.
Whereas, if I know I've got to get the shot right on the front end, post
production can makes things that much better.

I projected some slides the other day. I found myself thinking about how I
could improve things in Photoshop. But what if the  objective of the shoot
was for a slide presentation? Shouldn't that be my goal? Then, any digitally
manufactured improvements are icing on the cake.

Being proficient in Photoshop is no reason to become a sloppy photographer.
But I find myself thinking things like, "Who cares about dof for eliminating
the background? I've got Gaussian Blur."

Don't mean to go overboard here. I realized not everyone gets as lazy behind
the shutter as I do.

Dave

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital cropping)