Subject: Re: [Leica] Two bodies two film types
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:30:41 -0500

Dave Rodgers opined:

> For years the primary reason I carried two bodies was to shoot two different
> types of film; color and b/w. Frankly, I rarely used both. I'd either found
> myself to be in a color or a b/w mindset. So one body usually went unused.
> It became a lens holder, and little more.
>
> A while back I had occasion to shoot both bodies with the same film (new
> D400 not that it matters). Using two bodies interchangably with the same
> film has really opened my eyes. First, there's a real freedom in being able
> to use either of two lenses without having to swap anything. And I don't
> even mean vastly different lenses. I've primarily been using the 35/1.4 and
> 50/1.4, and less frequently a 28. I've come to appreciate that the 35 and 50
> are very different focal lengths. I've owned and used both for years. But I
> either used one or the other. Never both.
>
> I've had reasons to shoot lots of film over the past several weeks. I've
> carried two M6s -- same film, different lenses. I find myself switching from
> one camera to the other quite often. It's really opened my eyes to the
> difference between the 35 and 50.

I pretty much always use at least 2 bodies with a 28/35mm and 50mm and the
same film.

> It's taken me a long time to learn that two bodies with only one film type
> is really handy; and in many ways much better than using two different types
> of film. Still, can't help that I have the urge to get a third M6 for some
> color film. Old habits die hard.

There are times when I use more than 2 bodies like for three days this past
weekend covering the Rolling Thunder/Vietnam Memorial at the Wall. Because
there was so much going on I had one M with a 50, two with 35's and the
fourth with a 28. When I get in a rythem I find it to be a big distraction
to change a lens or to reload film so I like having all that redunduncy.
That is how I like to work.

sl

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Two bodies two film types)