Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: heavy duty travel case
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:05:09 -0700

ctrentelman  wrote:
> [...]
Case!
> Contains Expensive Photo Gear!!!" all over it while you're at it.<<<<<

Hi Charlie,
Your "use a card board box suggestion" could be OK for someone on a holiday,
but working photographers don't go through this "agonizing over cases" as
some here .  At least the professionals I know who regularly travel in their
home country or abroad don't.

Some of us who've been pros for many years and constantly on the road around
the world with piles of gear on assignments used Haliburton and Pelican all
the time. And on some flights 3 or 4 checked equipment cases before personal
bags.

I can't imagine going through the cardboard box covered with signs, "dirty
clothes and dog excrement" routine at anytime. Sure stuff disappears that's
part of travelling life, but I always took the philosophy of, "hey that's
life get on with it and have the best damn insurance you can buy on your
gear!"

Make sure the shoulder bag has enough film and stuff to get on with the
assignment until the "lost case" arrives or the replacement gear does. At
worse, just bloody well make do with what gear you have and don't whine.

The above comments are my humble opinion after many years of travelling. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant